Ads by Smowtion Media


Peanut allergy is a type of food allergy. It is a hypersensitivity to dietary substances from peanuts causing an overreaction of the immune system.

Prevalence among adults and children is similar (around 1%) but at least one study shows it to be on the rise in children.

25% of children with a peanut allergy grow out of it.

It is usually treated with an exclusion diet and vigilant avoidance of foods that may be contaminated with whole peanuts or peanut particles and/or oils.

The most severe peanut allergies can result in anaphylaxis.


If there is a family history of allergy, the risk of peanut allergy may be reduced by:

- avoiding peanuts during pregnancy and breast-feeding
- breast-feeding your baby
- delaying the introduction of peanut products until the child is at least 3 years old.


Symptoms of a peanut allergy may include:

- atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- urticaria (hives)
- asthma-like reaction (wheezing)
- swelling or tingling of the lips and tongue
- anaphylactic shock


Avoidance is the mainstay of treatment.

All labels for foods, medicines, cosmetics, creams, and ointments should be read thoroughly to ensure peanuts are not contained in the product.

Anaphylaxis is an emergency and should be treated with epinephrine.

Source: wikipedia GFDL Medic8


Post a Comment

Powered by WebRing.