Ads by Smowtion Media


Bee stings are very common & are serious for those who are allergic to them.

When a bee stings you, it leaves the stinger in the skin. The stinger will continue to pump venom into the body for up to 20 mins, so it is important to remove the stinger as quickly as possible.

The sting may be painful for a few hours.

Swelling and itching may persist for a week.

Treatment of bee stings

The first step is removal of the barbed stinger from the skin. The method of removal is less important than the time it takes to remove the stinger. Using tweezers may, in fact, squeeze more venom into the body.

Once the barb is removed, an ice pack will help to recuce swelling and inflammation. The sting will often leave a red, swollen welt on the affected area.

Allergic reaction to bee stings

It is important to check for an allergic reaction to bee stings. Symptoms of an allergic reaction can include a raised rash (weals), headache, fever, severe swelling of the face, tongue, and lips, and/or difficulty breathing.

An allergic reaction will usually occur within 1 hour of a sting. Allergic reactions are more common after multiple stings.

Allergic reactions require emergency medical help if there is collapse and/or difficulty breathing. Treatment of an allergic reaction may involve antihistamines, adrenaline, and tracheostomy (an emergency procedure to create a direct airway into the trachea if the upper airways are blocked).

People with a known allergy to bee stings should wear a warning braclet and carry an epipen (epinephrine autoinjector) for emergency use.

Epipens contain adrenaline, can be self-administered and are very fast-acting


Post a Comment

Powered by WebRing.